Bond University Rugby Club


20th June, 2017

For a side that lost to Sunnybank by 80 points if the first round, Bond Colts have made big strides.   Down 7-nil against Norths at halftime, they kept their cool and outscored them by 26 points to 6 in the second half.   It was a tight first half, with the only points coming from an intercept by the Eagles flyhalf, who scored under the posts.  

Norths took the lead to 10-nil with a penalty after some poor discipline from our forwards.  But, to their credit, they came back with a vengeance.  Austin Campion has had a long wait on the sidelines with injury and looked really keen.  He scored Bond’s first try with a good burst through the centres.  Norths led 10-5.  

Good kicking by Norths kept Bond pinned in their own half and another penalty extended their lead to 13-5.   Coach Damian Cahill must have been tearing his hair out when Caleb Saunders positioned Callum Elliot to score down the right wing but threw a dreadful one-handedd flick pass over the sideline!  Then Liam Upfield threw a shocker to Harry Bull with the line open.   Fortunately for Bond, Norths’ lock was sin-binned and we exploited the lack of numbers.   Ethan Singh scored after our pack hammered their line and Saunders’ indiscretion was forgotten when he kicked the conversion from touch.   Norths 13-12.

With our pack on top Bond went for the driving maul off a lineout, bringing the centres in to add weight.  Although they didn’t score immediately, big Caleb Enoka went over from an ensuing pick and drive. Saunders converted and Bond had the lead 19-13.

Jack Giles had a fine game at flyhalf and was rewarded with the fourth and final try, racing 30m to score under the posts and the conversion made the final score 26-13.   What a great comeback!

Welcome to former coach, Dean Kelly, who’s taken over as Manager of the team.  You’re onto a good thing Dean. 


Upcoming Events

Major Sponsors

The Bond University Rugby Club wish to thank our valuable 2018 Corporate Partners

All Sponsors