Bond University Rugby Club


7th June, 2017

After a nightmare start to the season our Premier Reserves are making a charge in the second round.  They still have the same problem that cost them so many close games earlier this season – a slow start.   Against 3rd-placed Easts they conceded an early try and made simple errors in the first half.  Twice we were over the line but couldn’t force the ball, while Easts scored a soft try when we didn’t mark up on the blind-side of a ruck.  But big Zac Moi Moi opened our account off a quick tap penalty and it was 5-5 at the break.

Jed Hogan’s pep talk emphasised two things – discipline and patience.  We did exactly the opposite, with a rash of penalties conceded and Michael Marshall Marshall getting a yellow card.  Easts used the numbers to score wide out and we were down 10-5 with 20 to go.

Cam Bracewell and Jaye Paton came on and we got immediate results, with Jaye scoring from a well-worked pick and drive.  But then Marshall came back and Easts got a yellow card, so the tables were turned.  With all the momentum, we pinned Easts in their quarter and Ben Hunt scored, after Cliff Otswald won one of his many lineouts. 

Jaye Paton then got a yellow card but there was no stopping our boys now – Nate Corbett bustling his way over after a brilliant 90m weaving run by Michael Marshall.   The final score was Bond 20 Easts 10.   It was hard to believe that this was only Bond’s second win of the season but they’re on a roll now and will cause a lot of problems to the top teams over the final 7 rounds.

A word of praise for 2 players – PJ Van Den Berg for his non-stop jackalling and tackling effort and Exe Olivieri for his courage.  Chasing a high kick with his customary determination, he clashed heads with Easts fullback.  But it was his ribs that copped the brunt of the impact and he will need a few weeks off. 


Upcoming Events

Major Sponsors

The Bond University Rugby Club wish to thank our valuable 2018 Corporate Partners

All Sponsors