Bond University Rugby Club


15th June, 2016

Last week Caderyn Neville was the villain – this week he was the hero.  Losing the ball in the last minute against UQ, who snatched an unlikely 1-point win, the towering Reds lock had a game he’d rather forget.   This week he scored 3 tries in a stirring victory over Sunnybank, a feat he’ll always remember.

Both teams had their problems – Sunnybank were battered and bruised after playing Brothers on the previous Tuesday night – and Bond lost in-form flyhalf Scott Daruda with a groin injury on Thursday at training.

It was a do or die match for Bond, who started as if their lives depended on a win.  First Caderyn crashed over the line from close range and then Gus Q raced 40 metres after being put into a gap by Mitch Third.   Gus gassed their centre and stepped their fullback in an exhilarating dash.  Sadly both tries were scored out wide and unconverted by Third. 10-0 to Bond.

The referee caned us in the penalties (10-1 at halftime) and then Joel Rapana got a yellow card for a high tackle, allowing the Dragons back into the game.   Big centre Henry Taefu made a break down the left wing and passed inside to Ryan Menzies who raced over untouched.  Jake Strachan converted and it was 10-7 at halftime.

Inspiring skipper Josh Fuimaono had dominated lineouts and made several storming runs but had to come off with a hamstring strain.

Sunnybank went a man down when their hooker Tom Mellor high-tackled our halfback, Vitori Buatava, and Third landed the penalty from 30m out, making it 13-7.  Moments later, Waylen Skips got his marching orders for 10 minutes for a ‘no arms’ tackle. 

It was that sort of game – first we were on top, then Sunnybank.  They scored 2 quick tries – to Strachan and a second to Menzies – down the left wing to lead 21-13.

Big Caderyn was having a storming game for Bond.  He used his height and weight to bash his way over for his second try and Mitch converted – so there was only 1 point in it.  Sunnybank 21-20.

Callum McDonald, our tireless flanker, finished off a series of attacks from close range, ignoring an upending tackle to plant the ball over the line in the corner. Mitch Third has had his problems with goal-kicking this season but, as the pressure came on, he just got better. It was now 27-21 to Bond.

The lead chopped and changed as the minutes ticked away.  Taefu used his bulk to break a tackle and score under the posts, so they regained the lead 28-27.  But Caderyn got his third try with another mighty charge and it was Bond in front 32-28.  

Mitch Third landed a magnificent 40m penalty and the lead was out to 7 points, 35-28.

The Dragons are a very fit side and they just kept running.  Flanker Tuilima raced 30m to score after a tap penalty and clever pass from their lively halfback Fines-Leiewasa.  It was locked at 35-all.

The scoreboard clock showed fulltime but the referee ruled that there was further injury time.  The minutes ticked past and neither side could score. 

Bond never gave up hammering away, probing and forcing their way into Dragons’ territory.  Resorting to the familiar pick and drive, they made no mistake.  Finally the big body of the oldest man in our team, Ruben Fuimaono, smashed his way over to score the match-winner.   Final score: Bond 42  Sunnybank 38. 

What a match!   We earned 5 points and they got 2, so they now have 36 points, GPS 34 and we have 33.  

We play GPS at Ashgrove next week and then we’re at home to Souths on 25th June. 

***Reminder – Old Boys Day.  July 16th.  The final home game against Wests.   


Upcoming Events

Major Sponsors

The Bond University Rugby Club wish to thank our valuable 2018 Corporate Partners

All Sponsors