Bond University Rugby Club

Bond University Pipped at the Post

8th June, 2016

A last-minute converted try robbed Bond University Premier Grade of victory in Round 12 at St Lucia.  Missing 3 key forwards because the game was changed to a Sunday, Bond lost only 19-18 to a side that has been unbeaten since the first round.  Against one of the best packs in the competition, Bond had problems in the scrum, but dominated the lineout and breakdown. 

With a howling wind blowing across the water-logged field, conditions weren’t ideal.  But both teams threw the ball around as if it was bone-dry.  Bond drew first blood when hooker Nick Turner bashed his way over from a pick and drive near the line to make it 5-0.

Vitori Buatava kicked a penalty from 25m to extend the lead to 8-0 Bond’s big pack, boosted by the inclusion of giant lock, Caderyn Neville, was upsetting UQ’s younger team with direct running and crunching defence.

But a misread in defence saw speedy UQ centre Nathan Russell wriggle his way over and James Dalgleish converted.  It was 8-7 to Bond at the break, but it could have been a bigger lead if we had shown a bit more patience near their line.   

“Bear” Holmes replaced Robbie Moe at loosehead, but the Red Heavies still dominated the scrums, and mobile lock Pat Morrey raced through a gap to score a fine individual try.  He had scored a hat-trick in UQ’s 33-15 win in the first round at Robina.  12-8 to UQ.

Bond were on top in the lineouts, where Josh Fui had done his homework. He cracked their calling code and, time and again, we won lineouts against the throw.

Vitori landed a 30m penalty in the tricky wind to narrow the gap to one point.  No sooner had Rory McKenzie replaced Tai Ford, than he intercepted a loose pass and, showing surprising speed, raced 75m to score.  Vitori converted and Bond led 18-12 with 12 minutes to play. 

UQ worked their way into Bond’s 22 and won the feed to a 5m scrum.  Ben Hunt had come on at hooker but this scrum was vital.  So 150kgs prop Brandon Anae was rushed onto the field.   We won a tight-head!  

The ball was kicked downfield but again UQ worked their way inside our 22.  Another replacement, Jake Upfield, stole their lineout ball and Vitori cleared it downfield. 

With only 90 seconds to play, the ball was passed out to the left, where Caderyn Neville tried to off-load to Waylen Skips, unmarked on the wing.  Alas, the ball went to ground, was snapped up by UQ and they found a gap out wide.  Fullback Tom Banks raced over and scored midway between the posts and the corner.  

With the wind still blowing hard, Dalgleish kept his cool and steered the ball between the uprights.  A 19-18 win to UQ, who coach Mick Heenan admitted had “got out of jail.”  

UQ increased their lead over Souths on the ladder to 10 points and Bond got a bonus point for finishing within 7.  So we lie on 28 points, only 1 behind 4th-placed Sunnybank, who play Brothers on Tuesday night.

So it’s a vital match for our Premier Grade next Saturday, to keep our finals hopes alive.  As our fearless leader Josh Fui commented:

”If we don’t beat them 4 days after they get bashed by Brothers we don’t deserve to be in the top four.”

PREMIER RESERVE GRADE and PREMIER COLTS matches are POSTPONED and will be played at a later agreed date.

COLTS1 match is CANCELLED with the results being declared a 0-0 all draw. This leaves Bond Univeristy equal top of table in Colts1 with Brothers, with both teams on 42 points.


Upcoming Events

Major Sponsors

The Bond University Rugby Club wish to thank our valuable 2018 Corporate Partners

All Sponsors